Can Emotional Stress Affect Your Memory?
Especially when the stakes are high, you need to remember the important things. However, people often times have memory problems when they’re under a lot of emotional stress, especially if they’re highly sensitive. Why is that and what can be done to help?
If this sounds like you, you are probably overwhelmed by the uncertainty and ungrounded by the sheer amount of information that you feel you have to process. You might be having experiences like the ones below.
- Processing difficult news
- Feeling weak or mentally exhausted
- Disoriented due to grief or sudden loss
- Picking up on other peoples pain
- Noticing an increase in forgetfulness
- Getting confused more easily than usual
If you are, you’re not alone and you can easily get some relief by going through the Emotional Stress that Affects Memory Exercise out of our Soul Oriented Solutions series.
Directions: Start by confirming that this is the best formula for you with the SOS Symbol.
Next, go through this short mind exercise to understand how emotional stress might be causing memory lapses in your case and what you can do to help yourself. Read each step and then gaze softly at its Circle, one at a time.
Give yourself permission to look at the Circles in any way or from any angle that you like. All you have to do is stay relaxed. If you’re drawn to focus on the center of a Circle, great!
If you come up with a message, an image or instinctively want to trace over the lines, let your imagination guide you. A playful approach reduces stress and opens up possibilities so you can look at your situation from different perspectives.
Developing intuition in this way enhances your personal growth and can keep those creative juices flowing for better mind function.
Caution: the use of this exercise is not intended take the place of appropriate medical and/or psychiatric care. If you are having prolonged or increasing bouts of memory loss, seek the appropriate medical help.
Mind Body Integration
Feel free to move at anytime in any way to help you embody your experience!
Stress That Affects Memory ~
How Are You Experiencing Disorientation?
1. We’re going to look at several possible reasons why emotional stress might be affecting your memory. One reason could be that you are disoriented due to a sudden recent change. You might also be picking up on other people’s stress. Another possibility could be that your mind has been exposed to an overwhelming amount of information. It helps to be aware of what is involved.
Let this Circle help you gather up any important information involved. Your unconscious mind knows what’s pertinent and what’s not.
You might want to jot down any impressions you notice. However, don’t be surprised if nothing definite comes to you. There may not be any words because the unconscious mind is not linear.
Just make note of what your experience is for now.
What is a Clear Intention That will Help?
2. To help bring your mind into focus, establish a simple and clear intention for this exercise.
“I improve mental acuity and brain function.”
Go ahead and meditate on the center open space of this chart with that intention in mind. Breathe deeply and relax. Don’t try to make anything happen. A relaxed mind will lead you to a more relaxed body!
When the energy of the chart slows down, you’re ready to move onto the next step.
What Would You Like to Shine Light On?
3. The pineal gland is an important part of your brain because of its main function of regulating light and darkness through its production and secretion of melatonin. In addition, the pineal contains light-sensitive cells that control your equilibrium through the circadian cycle of sleep and wakefulness.
Melatonin also supports healthy memory function and reproductive cycles.
Relax and breathe for a minute or two and let this Chakra Key help you clear toxins from your pineal gland so that your natural rhythms and cycles can come into better balance.
How Would You Like to Feel?
4. The hypothalamus is a part of your brain that regulates homeostasis. Through it, you have the ability to maintain inner balance and a calm state of mind. It also regulates a variety of functions including your physical development, digestive health and metabolism.
Allow this Chakra Key to help you clear and balance your hypothalamus.
What Would You Like to Remember?
5. The hippocampus is actually two structures located on either side of the temporal lobe that are involved with memory development, verbal, spacial and directional skills.
Repeat what you just did in the previous steps. Relax and breathe while you gaze at this Chakra Key to clear out toxins and bring both areas of your hippocampus into balance.
Once you’ve really relaxed with it, check in with a question:
“Is there something I’ve forgotten that’s important? More than one?”
Make a note of it and continue with your mind exercise.
What Would Bring You More Ease?
6. There’s another part of your brain function that taps into the wisdom of your Soul. Some call it the Third Eye Chakra. Through it, the pineal, hippocampus and hypothalamus can connect and work together to enhance learning and create coherent thoughts. Intuition and common sense can then blossom and communicate meaningful insights to your Heart Center.
Keep relaxed and gaze softly at the Circle with each affirmation:
“My common sense and intuition are working together.”
“I receive meaningful insights about my situation.”
“My mind helps me to reduce stress and integrate joy into my life.”
What Needs to Get Connected?
7. Keep relaxed and gaze softly at the Circle with each affirmation:
“My mind is connected and balanced to create improved mental acuity and brain function.”
“I improve my comprehension and understanding.”
“I connect with solutions.”
What Would Support You?
8. It’s possible that you’re dehydrated or not getting the right nutrition. While you gently focus on this Circle, ask yourself:
“Is there something I could eat or drink that would help me?”
“Is there something I’m eating or drinking too much of?”
Is There Something That You Need To Let Go Of?
9. If there is, let this Circle help you open up and let it go.
Just keep letting go and release all that emotional stress. See yourself relaxing under an afternoon Sun. Take all the time you like. It’s okay to let go and rest.
What Would Help Your Emotional Stress?
10. Is there something that you could do to help your mental emotional stress?
Is there something it would be best to stop doing?
Use this Circle to consider actions you could take that would help in this situation. Make sure they would be genuinely helpful to you now.
Is there anything you could do or stop doing that would be genuinely helpful to others?
What Is Your heart Saying?
11. It could be that things are just moving too fast and your mind is trying to keep up. Take a moment to slow down and tune into your Heart Center. Ask yourself:
“What is my heart telling me?”
“Am I worried about something (physical, financial, family issue, etc)?”
“What have I been doing? Has that helped?”
“What do I feel?”
How Will Life Be Better Without This Emotional Stress?
12. Your physical body is the foundation for your vitality and your instinct to take care of yourself. Clearing energy, especially in your lower body, will give you strength and support to make necessary changes. Put both feet on the floor to help you ground. Take whatever time you need.
Once you feel stronger, ask yourself:
“What, if anything, am I forgetting about my physical health?
“Is there something I need to remember?”
There’s always more than one way to do things, what new way comes to mind in this case?
What Would Keep You Grounded?
13. A strong connection to the Earth gives you support to make the necessary changes and stay balanced at the same time. Put both feet on the floor to help you ground.
If needed, go back to Step 7 and connect with your other chakras.
Take whatever time you need.
“What do I need to remember?”
“Do I need to change anything?”
“Do I have the connections and resources I need to resolve this stress?”
“What would be involved? Is anything missing?”
Ask For Blessings On Your Life Path.
14. Finish by balancing out your Life Path Chakras. They help you stay on your own path and tune into the promptings of your Soul – a very important thing to remember!
“I open up to my potential and stay positive.”
“I stay true to my Soul’s path.”
You may want to sit with this for quite a while.
Plan to take a walk or relax for a bit out in Nature once you feel ready.
Releasing emotional stress takes time and space!
Emotional Stress should not be considered as an exclusive method of treatment. The appropriate medical or psychotherapeutic authorities should be consulted for the diagnosis and treatment if there is any medical or psychological condition. The information and practices described on this website are best considered as an adjunct to orthodox medical or psychological treatments.